Re: Improving X selection?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:54:40 -0500

> That would forever entrench its usage as a non-platform-specific
> customisation,

Which is good.

> which is IMO not good design, and then would mean yet another
> customization needs to be introduced to actually customize the
> x specifics!

I don't see why we'd need anything else specific for X.  If it's not
sufficient for X (or for w32 or ...), then we can add yet more generic
config vars, and then either ignore them on other GUIs or interpret them
as best as we can.

> The platforms in term/  supply their own
> interprogram-cut/paste-functions - at least mac-win and pc-win and
> x-win do -  though they name-clashing name them x-select-text - IMO
> should be e.g.  mac-select-text on mac.

As long as the C code can only be built with 1 GUI at the same time,
this is not a big issue, but yes, that's of course true.

> IMO the purpose of x-select-enable-clipboard should be to configure
> the behaviour of the _x-_ implementation of the
> interprogram-cut/paste-functions,

Of course, it should be renamed to `select-enable-clipboard'.

        Stefan