Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:40:18 -0400

Stefan> In any case, I still haven't heard any concrete reason why the
Stefan> non-standard behavior of calc is preferred to the more common
Stefan> behavior.

> "Backward compatibility" is not a concrete reason?

Well, of course, there's this one.  But I was looking for one that justifies
choosing the current behavior in the first place.

> Calc has been around for a *very* long time.  Do not needlessly break it.

I cannot judge that.  I just know that big warnings in the doc about
unexpected behavior should usually better be fixed by changing the behavior
(when possible).  If there are too many existing calc-scripts that would be
broken by such a change, fine, but if this only mostly affects interactive
use, then changing it would make a lot of sense.

        Stefan