Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:10:11 -0400

>> I don't think so.
>>
>> Theorem: the "/" is *not* a horizontal bar.
>> Proof:
>>
>> What parse tree do you expect from A+B/C+D?
>>
>> Is it the same as the one you expect from
>>
>> A + B
>> -----
>> C + D
>>
>> QED.

> The "/" there can certainly be considered a horizontal bar: under the B,
> and over the C.

Then we're back to precedence and the question becomes why don't you
consider A*B/C*D as

In any case, I still haven't heard any concrete reason why the non-standard
behavior of calc is preferred to the more common behavior.  Neither is
perfect because there is no such thing, but one of them is sufficiently
surprising to deserve big warnings in the Calc doc and the Org doc, whereas
the other would be "business as usual".

        Stefan