Adding a line to the splash screen with the guided tour's URL (was: Re:

From: Jason Spiro
Subject: Adding a line to the splash screen with the guided tour's URL (was: Re: Shipping the illustrated tutorial with Emacs 22?)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 04:22:55 -0400

2007/2/22, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
I hesitate to add anything to Emacs 22 now.  We want to make a release
very soon.

Would it be practical to at least add a line of plain text to the
splash screen: "The illustrated guided tour is at
http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/emacs/";?  I can send a patch to implement
this if you like.

(I hope you don't mind that I'm so persistent in my quest to inform as
many Emacs users as possible about this tutorial.  It's because too
much of the material currently available is drab and text-only and
focuses on keybindings for basic editing and perhaps a few major
modes.  This guided tour, however, is concise (well, at least the
slides are), graphical, and covers more than just the basics,
including features for coders like M-x compile, M-x gdb, and tramp.
IMO it is the best way to educate newbies on what Emacs has to offer.)

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I provide software development and training services to clients worldwide.