Re: More visible mini-buffer prompt face

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: More visible mini-buffer prompt face
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:20:43 +0100

On 2/26/07, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:

Seriously, if we write a program where certain habits often
form for the users, I don't think it is the user's fault.

Why not? In other aspects of life it is often the case that bad habits
are the user's fault (no one would blame the car for the user driving
under the influence of alcohol).

Seriously, if a program asks you to type "yes" and press RETURN to
confirm a possibly dangerous action, and you do look for ways to
automatize skipping the question... what more could the program do?
Isn't that obnoxious enough? Do we start an arms race between prompts
and users?

The answer given before ("do not prompt, let him do it and provide
ways to undo") is good, but not always applicable.

However, it does not feel like this is the right thread, or time, to
discuss these, sometimes philosophical, matters...

Oops. :)

            Juanma