Re: CVS commits and logs

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: CVS commits and logs
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:01:33 -0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Does this include the unicode-2 branch?  Is it full of
> > multi-file commits where the trunk has single-file commits?
>
> Yes.  A single merge-commit to the unicode-2 branch represents many,
> many changes on the trunk (hundreds of files, often multiple changes to
> each file), so I don't include changelog info in the CVS log entry at
> all.  The CVS log entry more or less says "merge from trunk of
> changesets X-Y."
>
> You'll find that this is _always_ how merging is done though, regardless
> of who does it, because to actually track down the separate changelog
> entries, package them up, and commit each file separately would be a lot
> of work, very slow, and bloat the CVS logs, all for very little gain.

Not to mention, you would lose vital information about which versions
the merge came from. At least when merging manually, you need that
information to create the next merge. I usually use the verbatim cvs/svn
command in the log message which can be used to view the log messages of
the source versions by simply swapping "log" for "ci".

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD