Re: Port of Emacs client / server programs to Windows NT

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Port of Emacs client / server programs to Windows NT
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:30:06 +0100

Neil Roberts wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:56:56AM +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:

It may solve another problem on w32 too. The software firewalls
jumps in if you are using TCP. As far as I understand it this will
not happen with pipes (but I am not sure).

Yes, that's true.

Can't w32 pipes have access protection on them too?

And that's also true. My implementation of emacsserver sets the access
control list so that only the current user can connect.

Thanks Neil.

Juanma, I know very well that you have got the TCP version working now (since I have tested it), but are not the arguments above compelling? It looks to me like pipes is better to use on w32. That will avoid the security problems that could arise with TCP.

Keeping the TCP support for later use is however very good in my opinion. It has been a hard problem to solve for w32.

BTW why are not not TCP used on unixes? Is that because of security?