Re: delete-process bug (was: Ispell loads dict twice.)

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: delete-process bug (was: Ispell loads dict twice.)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:19:47 +0200

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:57:18PM +0200, Michaël Cadilhac wrote:[B
> Agustin Martin <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Ispell process killed
> > Starting new Ispell process [american] ...
> > Error in post-command-hook: (error ispell exited with signal Killed)
>
> This is  not really  due to my  patch. However,  it shows a  real race
> condition in process management of Emacs:

Thanks for clarifying,

I was also guessing so, your patch was working pretty well at home
(Debian stable emacs21.4), but failed randomly at work in both Debian
stable emacs21.4 (tested this morning) and in Debian unstable emacs21.4
and emacs-snapshot, in all cases even in a clean environment.

The only difference left is that my home computer is slower than the one I
use at work.

Besides the race condition, your ispell.el original patch seems very
reasonable to me.

It is a pity that upstream ispell.el mailing list is not archived anywhere,
and that we cannot browse its CVS logs, to check if original code was
intended as a workaround for this kind of race conditions.

> After an hour of debugging, I can propose a small change that fixes
> this bug and lets no room for any other race condition of that kind,
> AFAICT.

I agree that is the race condition what needs to be fixed instead of using
strange workarounds.

Thanks for your feedback,

--
Agustin