Re: gdb with many windows: kill associated buffers doesn't always work

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gdb with many windows: kill associated buffers doesn't always work
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:17:06 -0400

>> > The gdb process only dies if you quit the session.
>> It can die for any reason.
> If GDB crashes then thats a bug in GDB and this should rarely happen.

"Should" is the operative word here.

> Could you name a few other reasons?

Even if it doesn't crash, it can get into a state that I find easier to
cleanup by quit&restart than by trying to figure out whether the situation
can be salvaged and how.  It may even happen without any bug whatsoever,
just because you've set enough GDB envvars and options and you want to reset
them to some default state.  Maybe GDB offers such a command, but using
quit&restart has the advantage that it's a universal way to do it,
non-specific to GDB.

        Stefan