Re: gdb with many windows: kill associated buffers doesn't always work

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb with many windows: kill associated buffers doesn't always work
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 22:31:07 +1200

 >     Nick> I assume that by "when I finish my debug session" you mean
 >     something Nick> like typing quit in the GUD buffer, so that the process
 >     is killed Nick> but not the GUD buffer.  I'm not sure why you would
 >     want to type Nick> quit and not just kill the GUD buffer to finish a
 >     debug session, but Nick> clearly its a legitimate thing to do.
 >
 > It doesn't matter. Both, quit and kill gud buffer, have the same effect, i.e.
 > from the 2nd gdb session on (if I kill all the buffers from the first gdb
 > session) the associated buffers are killed (which is just fine IMHO).

They shouldn't have the same effect: killing the GUD buffer should kill the
associated buffers, typin quit shouldn't.  I can see now that typing quit
and _then_ killing the GUD buffer can cause problems (even without Andreas's
change).  However, I still can't see a problem if quit isn't typed in the GUD
buffer.  Can you?  If so could you give me a precise recipe?

 >     Nick>    * progmodes/gud.el (gdb): Only complain about multiple debugging
 >     Nick>    when the gdb process is still running.
 >
 > This also seems like a good change to me. It was really annoying having emacs
 > complain about multiple sessions when the first one was already finished,
 > even though the gud buffer did still exist.

As things stand it might be difficult to keep this behaviour.  What do
you do with the first buffer once it has already finished?