Re: Reset buttons in Customize (Was: Bug, probably related to Custom The

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Reset buttons in Customize (Was: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:35:47 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   I suggest changing custom-reset-current and
   custom-reset-saved to *really* become "Show Current Value" and "Show
   Saved Value" (and custom-reset-standard to "Show Standard Value").

For the Saved and Standard values, those would have the problem of
showing and saving evaluated values where often Lisp expressions should
be saved.  This could lead to serious bugs.  Please read the
introductory comment in cus-edit.el.

"Show initial Lisp expression" (in which you deleted "initial")
_already_ does what your "Show saved Value" does (but in a way that
avoids the bugs inherent in your suggestion).  If the user saved
something as a Lisp expression, then that is likely what he needs
to edit, not the evaluated value.

"Don't show as Lisp expression" (which you changed to "Show value
widget") already does what your "Show Current Value" does.  It shows
the current value if the saved value was shown as a Lisp expression.
On the other hand "Reset to Current" does _not_ necessarily show the
current value, what it does is revert user edits.  I gave the details
in a previous message.

Sincerely,

Luc.