Re: Reset buttons in Customize

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Reset buttons in Customize
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:16:38 +0100

Chong Yidong wrote:

  I suggest changing custom-reset-current and
  custom-reset-saved to *really* become "Show Current Value" and "Show
  Saved Value" (and custom-reset-2standard to "Show Standard Value").
  That is, the buttons only change the values shown in the widgets,
  without setting them.  The user explicitly calls "Set for Current
  Session" or "Save for Future Sessions" to do what he wants, which
  reduces the risk of confusion.

That would mean two new whole buffer buttons and two new items in the
State menu.

Nope -- the point is to *replace* the "reset to *" buttons, so there
will be no change in the number of buttons.
I like the idea. The buttons could also be grouped according to whether they applies to field values or setting/saving.

If this is not a big change then it would IMO be good to do it now, since it is now that Custom really is supposed to be used. Care must be taken for the strange "hidden" values of course.

  However, an even better simplification is what I previously suggested:
  do away with the concept of "set for current session", and make
  Customize save automatically.

I believe that many Custom users often use these buttons.  I certainly
do.
I too use "set for current session".