Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:26:26 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       Maybe we could change "Reset to Current" to "Discard Edits", as
       somebody suggested at one point ("Reset to current" is not going to
       reset any setting, only text in the Custom buffer.)

   How about "Show Current Settings" or "Show Current Values"?

It is longer than the current text and, to me, not clearer at all.
Actually, it would be confusing, certainly for the whole buffer
button.  It makes it appear that you have to press this button to see
the current values and makes you wonder what the shown values are
(defaults, saved values?).  For the State button message, the plural
is wrong.

What is wrong with "Discard Edits" or "Undo Edits" or "Revert Edits",
since that is exactly what it does?  Otherwise, we could just keep
"Reset to Current".

   And "Reset to Saved" could be "Show Saved Settings" or
   "Show Saved Values"?

"Reset to Saved" does exactly what it says: it resets to the saved
value.  It does not just show the saved value.

         That would make
       "Erase Customization" look less like it was going to erase your editing.

   It does erase your editing, as well as erasing saved values.

   What about "Cancel Customization", "Cancel Saved Settings",
   "Erase Saved Settings", etc?

The last two would be misleading: it is not just going to cancel and
erase saved values, but edited, set and rogue values as well.  "Cancel
Customization" would be better, but might be confusing because
"Cancel" is used in the sense of "Undo Edits" by some other
customization interfaces.

Actually, "Erase Customization" is not that bad.  I just thought
changing "Reset to Current" to "Discard Edits" would make it still
more clear that the edits in the buffer are just edits, not
customizations, thereby eliminating any confusion for
"Erase Customization" as well.

Sincerely,

Luc.