Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: FOR-RELEASE.W32
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:10:01 +0200

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

That's just a non-implemented feature. Emacs has been running on
Windows for years without emacsclient, and people make do with
gnuserv/gnuclient. Of course I think it'd be very nice to have it
working (else I wouldn't be hacking emacsclient right now), but I
hardly would consider it "a major problem".
I tend to agree with you and Jason here, I am overestimating this. But then a problem is that gnuserv/client is not shipped with Emacs (licensing issues if I have understood it correctly, though everything is marked as GNU). I think we at least should note this in the manual and point to a place where a more official version of gnuserv/client for Emacs on w32.

That has been done in the past. There were NT Emacs 20.X releases that
weren't synchronized with non-NT Emacs releases.
Thanks.