Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:20:39 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   One possible solution for that is to discourage, or even get rid of,
   of the per-variable command button.

I use Custom extensively.  The per-variable command buttons are the
_only_ ones I use.  Getting rid of them would make Custom unusable in
as far as I am concerned.

   If there is only the whole-buffer Set and the whole-buffer Save,
   this confusion won't happen.

If there were no whole-buffer Set and Save functions, the confusion
would never happen.  But I would not go as far as to suggest
eliminating the whole-buffer buttons, even though I do not consider
them to be very useful.  Maybe we could provide warning messages if
people tried to use them.  But I believe that it is _obvious_ to
Custom users that if they want to operate on an entire buffer, they
have to be really careful.  I would guess that the whole-buffer
buttons are _very_ seldom used.  It is much safer and much more
convenient to set or save options one by one.

Sincerely,

Luc.