Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:07:44 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>

>     > One possible solution for that is to discourage, or even get rid of,
>     > of the per-variable command button.  If there is only the
whole-buffer
>     > Set and the whole-buffer Save, this confusion won't happen.
>
>     I do not think that is a good solution because the customization
buffer
>     might be a result of a search.
>
> I don't understand "result of a search" or how that relates to the
> issue.  Could you please spell out your agrument?

Sorry, I was really unclear. I think Luc and Drew has explained this more
clearly. I was thinking of different options in the buffer beeing in
different state. You may not even know exactly what is in the customization
buffer.

>     > ISTR that I have seen apps where there is no difference between the
>     > field value and the active value within the customization tool, but
>     > all the changes require confirmation when you exit the customization
>     > tool.
>
>     It is an unusual behaviour I think. Maybe it is because it is tedious?
>
> It was not tedious at all.  To confirm when exiting is no more work
> than giving the "Save" command.

I thought that every option would require confirmation. Someone brought up
the idea that this could look similar to dired so maybe it would not be so
much work for the user.

>     I miss the Set button. IMO opinion the names you propose makes it a
bit more
>     difficult to have a Set button.
>
> Eliminating that distinction is part of the idea I'm considering now.

Yes, I can see that. I just wanted to say that I disagree. As I pointed out
earlier beeing able to test is essential. (But there may be other solutions
to this, like option value history.)