Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:02:20 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
To: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 8:20 AM

> > From: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:51:43 +0100
> >
> > > Would switching on auto-revert-mode solve your problem here?
> >
> > I have been missing this feature too. Emacs behaviour is quite confusing
if
> > you are used to the behavior Moheb mentions.
> >
> > I do not believe that auto-revert-mode can do what Moheb (and I myself)
> > wants. What we want to happen is that Emacs should warn at the moment
when
> > it gets focus that the file has changed.
>
> When Emacs warns you that the file was changed, what would you do in
> response?  I thought that you would revert the buffer, so auto-revert
> seemed like a good solution.

auto-revert-mode does what it does later, not at the moment Emacs gets
focus. I believe that at the moment when Emacs gets focus it should for all
files that are visited in buffers and changed outside of Emacs should ask:

     "File AA.C has changed on disk. Do you want to reload it?"

I think a popup should be used for this since it is more visible. Emacs
should also keep track of when this question was asked last time (to avoid
asking to many times).

After this the usual Emacs handling of the situation should persist.