Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:34:29 -0600 (CST)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   Setting auto-revert-stop-on-user-input to nil does not work for me. Using
   CVS, any ideas of what could be wrong.

I believe that what is wrong is that you misunderstand what it is
supposed to do.  Basically, setting this to nil is only going to make a
noticeable difference when a bunch og huge files are changing on disk
while you are trying to type.  My best guess is that you are not going
to enjoy it being nil in such a situation.

Do you still believe that it "does not work" after reading the
following expanded docstring?

===File ~/autorevert-diff===================================
*** autorevert.el       29 Dec 2004 21:08:55 -0600      1.42
--- autorevert.el       06 Feb 2005 10:14:45 -0600
***************
*** 150,156 ****
              (auto-revert-set-timer))))

  (defcustom auto-revert-stop-on-user-input t
!   "When non-nil Auto-Revert Mode stops checking files on user input."
    :group 'auto-revert
    :type 'boolean)

--- 150,160 ----
              (auto-revert-set-timer))))

  (defcustom auto-revert-stop-on-user-input t
!   "When non-nil Auto-Revert Mode stops checking files on user input.
! This prevents Auto Revert from interrupting you while you are typing.
! This option controls when files are auto-reverted, not which files
! are auto-reverted.  Modified files are never auto-reverted,
! regardless of the value of this option."
    :group 'auto-revert
    :type 'boolean)