Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:16:11 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luc Teirlinck" <address@hidden>

> I guess that after "21.4" is released, we could split some of the most
> often used and most problematic hooks (like find-file-hook) into a
> user and a program hook, thereby solving this kind of problem.  (Doing
> this for all defcustomed hooks would probably be unrealistic, because
> there are too many of them.)

Thanks for the clear example.

What we can (and I think we should) do before release is some small changes
to Customize to try to help the user avoid the problems. I would suggest the
following:

1) Do not at all allow "Erase Customization" for rouge options. Or at least
ask and explain the problems at any such attempts.

1) Do not at all allow "Save" for rouge options. Or at least ask and explain
explain at any such attempts.

2) Ask and explain before "Set" of any such option.