Re: ChangeLog fontifications

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ChangeLog fontifications
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:02:10 -0400

For Emacs to highlight both styles properly would be best, of course.
If some projects (including non-GNU projects) use the other style,
we may as well make Emacs more useful for them.

However, if it is hard to support both, we should support the GNU
recommended style.

    What I think would be really keen is if changelog filling would do
    this correctly -- currently, although add-log will use the right
    syntax, manually typing an entry and using fill-paragraph or
    auto-fill can leave it in the `incorrect' form.

That would be a good feature.  However, we should provide an option to
turn on and off.  Those who prefer the other format would not like
Emacs to convert it to the GNU format.

But let's put that off for later, since now we want to aim towards
fixing bugs, not designing new features.

Regarding the examples you found in GCC.

    2004-04-08  Joseph S. Myers  <address@hidden>

            * fixinc/inclhack.def (rpc_xdr_lvalue_cast_a,
            rpc_xdr_lvalue_cast_b): New fixes.

They are apparently not following our standards.
This is not a terribly important issue, but
I will write to suggest that they follow the GNU standards
for this.

    Wed May  3 01:34:58 1989  Richard Stallman  (rms at sugar-bombs.ai.mit.edu)

            * tm-mips.h (TARGET_VERSNUM): Inc. to 1 08.
            (EXTRA_SECTIONS, SELECT_VARIABLE_SECTION, SELECTORS_EXTRA_SECTIONS,
            SELECT_VARIABLE_CONST_SECTION): New macros.

I think that 1989 was before I thought about the issue and decided that

            (EXTRA_SECTIONS, SELECT_VARIABLE_SECTION, SELECTORS_EXTRA_SECTIONS)
            (SELECT_VARIABLE_CONST_SECTION): New macros.

would make it easier to see the names of the functions that were
changed.