Re: ChangeLog fontifications

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ChangeLog fontifications
Date: 13 May 2004 18:25:22 -0400

>> What on earth was the reason to invent such a convention?
> Because (1) it's more friendly to line-oriented parsers (like font-lock, but
> also external tools [*]), and (2) it looks quite nice.

Indeed, I strongly suspect that the convention was designed before
font-lock existed.

In any case we have to live with the fact that many projects don't follow
this part of the convention (and thus lived without complaining with
font-lock not highlighting things the way they wanted).  I think fixing
font-lock to follow their use would go in the wrong direction unless it is
decided to change the convention.  What would be better would indeed be
things like teaching fill&auto-fill how to do things right.

OTOH adding a big fat font-lock-warning-face where the convention is not
followed (like I do) would probably result in a massive popular revolt.

        Stefan