Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 03:07:07 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> As I said, I haven't seen a single complaint about the font-size change
> in Info-mode in Emacs-21.

Perhaps you haven't seen complaints about font sizes in Info-mode,
because users who don't like that, has silently changed sizes
in their .emacs files :-)

> With the 6x13 font I use, "m" in bold looks basically like a solid block,
> but I've never found it to be unreadable because it still looks clearly
> different from all others (including "w").
> Is your situation similar except that the solid block does bother you
> (maybe because you sight is not as good as mine)?

This is clearly my situation with my 6x10 font, where the text
displayed in this font is hardly readable.  Even though I am able to
guess from letter shapes and context what the text is displayed in
bold, such constant guessing is too bothersome.  And note, fr xmpl, tht
vn wrds w/ vwls cn b rcgnzd, but this requires additional mental efforts.

>> First, will someone who understands the patch review it?  Or should I
>> commit the merged version of xfaces.c and see whether it breaks others
>> people's installations?
>
> My understanding of the patch is that it introduces risks of crashes.
> If you set realize-face-filter-functions to functions that are simple
> enough, it might be safe (tho maybe only if you compile with -DSYNC_INPUT).

I tried this patch a month ago, but it often causes crashes.  So without
hope to get this patch working without crashes, I solved this particular
problem with a small piece of code in .emacs:

(add-to-list 'custom-define-hook 'my-faces-set)

(defun my-faces-set (&optional frame)
  (interactive)
  ;; Check if this function is called by `custom-define-hook' from
  ;; `custom-declare-face' where the variable `face' is bound locally.
  (if (boundp 'face)
      (mapc (lambda (face)
              (when (face-bold-p face frame)
                (set-face-bold-p face nil frame)
                (set-face-underline-p face t frame))
              (when (numberp (face-attribute face :height frame))
                (set-face-attribute face frame :height 'unspecified))
              (when (numberp (face-attribute face :width frame))
                (set-face-attribute face frame :width 'unspecified)))
            (face-list))))

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/