Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:01:14 +0200

On 10 May 2004 08:45:46 -0400
Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

>  - recognize args by all-uppercase.

That's what's done now, but exploring just the arglist info, not the
full docstring.

>  - make only the first N instances of the arg stand out.

That would be easy to implement. But...

> this makes it easy to locate the general area of an arg's
> description, w/o overwhelming decoration, by default

...I don't think it would work right in many cases of long docstrings.
Examples: defmacro, open-network-stream (-nowait, -server), define-key,
etc.

>  - default N is 1, but add a user-defineable function to
>       evaluate context and possibly return another number.

My gut feeling is that this would add unneeded complexity for such a
simple featurette. I think there's people who likes it (for different
levels of subtlety), and people who just don't and will customize it out
of their Emacs :)

>  - keep "stand out" as bold.

Whatever is decided.

Thanks,