Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:26:15 +0200

address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> address@hidden (David Kastrup) writes:
>>
>> > Interestingly enough, I can't reliably reproduce this effect either.
>> > Hilarious.  Maybe it has something to do with what xterms I started as
>> > background processes (different nicety?).  Oh, if I have a block
>> > cursor blinking in yet another window, this seems to help.  Crazy.
>>
>> So maybe neither the dd nor the infloop require 100% CPU.  Maybe the
>> terminal (KDE program "konsole") is too slow in printing all this
>> stuff?
>
> Sigh.  What exactly about the word "xterm" don't you understand?  If
> you don't use a terminal program that gets more efficient as it is
> able to process larger batches, the exercise is pointless.

I apologize.  Four messages ago you mentioned "some other shell
window", and I somehow misread this to mean that the terminal running
dd is not important.

So I now retried the whole thing with two xterms, one running the dd,
and another running the infloop.  I also had a third window running,
a Konsole with a blinking cursor.

I see the same behavior as previously, when I was using two Konsole
windows and Emacs with a blinking cursor.

Hm.
--
This line is not blank.