Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Any idea about what makes Emacs slow reading on pipes?
Date: 19 May 2003 10:09:06 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> So I now retried the whole thing with two xterms, one running the
> dd, and another running the infloop.  I also had a third window
> running, a Konsole with a blinking cursor.
>
> I see the same behavior as previously, when I was using two Konsole
> windows and Emacs with a blinking cursor.
>
> Hm.

Well, I can't reliably trigger the behavior with xterms here myself.
Probably the empty loop does only in some cases cause preemption of
the xterm, and there was something else involved.

Which kernel, by the way?

Anyhow, I also posted an Emacs test program, and that would probably
pretty reliably show the effect.

My Emacs test program runs about a factor of 3 faster when I have an
od -v /dev/zero xterm running at the same time.