Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:00:35 -0500

       way, since the pointer usually points upwards. So my suggestion would
       be to default to

       (setq tooltip-x-offset 0)
       (setq tooltip-y-offset 40)

Could others please try this and comment?  Would this be an
improvement?  Should we use -40 instead of 40?

Do people want to implement smarter methods of preventing the tooltip
from hiding the menu item?

    I don't know what people would like.  The best value depends both on a
    person's screen and on the font they are using.

Perhaps instead of using fixed values specified by these variables
it could calculate the values based on the size of the menu item.

    I think the right thing is to decide the tooltip X/Y offset
    according to the size and position of the rectangle area
    that activates the tooltip, not according to the mouse
    position.  Then we can make tooltip never overlap with the
    rectangle area, for instance, by aligning the bottom-left
    corner of the tooltip with 5/-5 offset from the top-left
    corder of the rectangle area will be good.

Yes, exactly.  The question is, how hard is that to implement
given the toolkits as they are?