Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:33:16 -0500

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:36:44AM -0800, David Masterson wrote:
> > I like the current method, so I hope any change is completely
> > optional (and certainly I'd like to use a GTK toolkit version of
> > emacs).
>
> Can you be a little more precise as to why you like the current
> method?

Because (1) I like having the tooltips, and (2) I don't find them annoying,
and (3) I _do_ find having to use an explicit command to get tooltips
annoying.

Note that (2) is something that depends a lot on the particular parameters
(popup delay etc): some programs (the enlightenment window manager is a good
example) have tooltips that drive me bonkers, but emacs seems to have done
things right.

> From another of your messages, my guess is that you don't use
> the menu directly, you just use it as documentation.

I `use them as documentation' in the sense that I use them to help me
remember rarely used commands (or commands with particularly wierd bindings).
Of course I don't look at the menu and then hit the key (that would be a bit
silly) -- I just select the menu entry.

The main difference I think is that I use the menus occasionally, rather
than for every command (which I've seen novice users do, even when I'm pretty
sure they know the key-binding; I guess they're just used to it).

> If so, then having the tooltips popup on their own makes sense.  However,
> if you were going to use the menu, I would think the tooltip popping up
> might get in the way.

It would be nice to have something besides conjecture.

Has anyone heard any complaints about menu tooltips being annoying?

> Obviously, you could turn off the tooltips all together, but having a
> "What's this?" command might be a little more flexible.

They seem orthogonal, actually...

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche