Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 06:54:26 -0500

    > >>  Yes.  IIRC, this is hard-coded in the encoder's C code: it works as if
    > >>  latin-1 was actually iso-latin-1-wth-esc.
    >
    > > How can we change that ?
    >
    > This change will do.

This user-visible change would affect much more than ispell.
Is it the right thing in general?

    Or, if this is a problem only for ispell, we can make series
    of "safe" coding-systems for ispell.

Making a full range of alternate coding systems would be a nuisance
and inconvenient for ispell.el to use.

    Or, we can add a global flag, say
    `inhibit-unsafe-iso-escape, to tell encoding routine not to
    produces those escape sequences.  Then, ispell can let-bind
    that variable to t on encoding.

    I think the last one is the best solution.

I agree, that would be much easier to implement and to use.