Re: No doc strings from DOC

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: No doc strings from DOC
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:32:35 -0500

> On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:04:57 -0500, "Stefan Monnier"
> <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Still with the code I just committed ?
>
> Are you talking of
>
> !   if (EQ (tem, make_number (0))
> !       tem = Qnil;
> !   if (INTEGERP (doc) || CONSP (doc))
>
> and
>
> !   if (EQ (tem, make_number (0))
> !       tem = Qnil;
> !   if (INTEGERP (tem) || (CONSP (tem) && INTEGERP (XCDR (tem))))
>
> I suppose? Then, the answer is yes.

Huh!

> Without that patch I got an error when doing C-h f set-fill-column, for
> example. With it I just get the error if I do C-h f set-fill-column and
> answer "no" to the reloading question. If I answer "yes", the help for

The question is "why do you get a reloading question" ?

> the function is displayed, but it says "not documented".

But you don't get "Wrong type argument: stringp, 0" any more, right ?
And you did say earlier that you already got "not documented" before
my changes to doc.c, right ?

So the only change left is that you get prompted for reload.
Do I understand it right?

> > If so, can you give me a recipe ?
> No, I don't know what's happening.

You might be right that the problem has to do with EOL.
If you get a reloading question that means that Emacs has a proper
file-offset to the docstring but that when it looks it up it
decides that the offset is bogus.

Could you try to put a breakpoint on get_doc_string and see what's
happening there ?
You could for example see the value of `filepos' and then
look up the DOC-X file to see where that points to and maybe
you'll get some idea about what's wrong.

        Stefan