Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved
Date: 15 Feb 2002 14:23:02 +0100

> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:36:54 -0700 (MST)
> >
> > One we have this variable, adding an alternative for "no highlighting"
> > would be reasonable.  But I suspect that the people who asked for that
> > would be happy if highlighting never happens except just after a
> > mouse motion.
>
> I suggested a few days ago to add a Lisp binding for the global
> variable disable_mouse_highlight, as a means to implement such a
> option to turn off any mouse highlight.  I'm willing to code this if
> people consider it to be a good idea.

I don't think it is a good idea.

Either it is not needed at all if my proposal is installed, or it
should be one of the options for the variable selecting that
behaviour.

Personally, having used the new behaviour all day, I think it is a big
improvement over the current behaviour [especially because the mouse
highlight is still indicated by the mouse cross cursor].

So IMHO it could just replace the current behaviour, and I really
don't think there is a need for an option to bring back the old
behaviour (nor to disable mouse highlight all together).

Have any of you actually tried the patch I posted yesterday?