Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:20:59 -0500

>     I am getting pretty tired of arbitrary text getting highlighted, e.g.
>     after splitting windows, just because there happens to be some text
>     with the mouse-face at the place where mouse cursor happens to be.
>
> That seems correct to me.  The highlighting says the mouse is over
> a sensitive area.
>
>     It seems fairly easy to me to keep track of whether the last event
>     was a mouse movement, and only try to display the mouse face in
>     that case.
>
> It might be easy, but I don't think it is correct.

But I agree with Kim that if I'm just typing at a *shell* prompt
(for instance), there's no reason to highlight the text that was
scrolled to underneath the mouse (i.e. the text moved to where the mouse
is, instead of the mouse being moved over the text).

I don't find it really important, but if I could choose between the current
behavior and something like what Kim suggests, I'd prefer Kim's behavior.

        Stefan