Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved
Date: 14 Feb 2002 10:58:33 +0100

>     I am getting pretty tired of arbitrary text getting highlighted, e.g.
>     after splitting windows, just because there happens to be some text
>     with the mouse-face at the place where mouse cursor happens to be.
>
> That seems correct to me.  The highlighting says the mouse is over
> a sensitive area.

Ok, but try this (as an extreme example):

  $ emacs -q

  RET

  [you are now in *scratch*]

  global-map C-j

  [move the mouse into the output from this command]

  [the output is highlighted]

  [move the mouse out of the output from this command]

  [the output is no longer highlighted]

  C-x b RET

  [switches to  *Messages* or some other buffer]

  [... suppose you worked on that buffer for some time]
  [... part of this work included using the mouse     ]
  [... pretend the mouse happens to be left in the

  [move the mouse approx. 1/3rd from the top of the window]

  C-x b RET

  [switches back to the *scratch* buffer]

  [Now, half your screen is highlighted -- because that is where
   you "happened to" leave the mouse in the previous buffer you
   worked in.]

>     It seems fairly easy to me to keep track of whether the last event
>     was a mouse movement, and only try to display the mouse face in
>     that case.
>
> It might be easy, but I don't think it is correct.

There could be an option to change the behavoir -- including
turning off mouse-highlight entirely (as has been requested
in recent mails on gnu.emacs.bug).