Re: visible-whitespace-mode

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: visible-whitespace-mode
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:57:55 +0000 (UTC)

   What do you suggest for default values?

I personally like "royal blue" for the foreground color.  However, I
don't know what good defaults should be, since I appear to be rather
odd in using "navy" as my background color, even though a dark blue
reduces flicker and is easy on the eyes.  The default values should
work with whatever color people use most (or be automatically adapted
to one of several colors).

In any event, the best names should be used.  Unfortunately, filenames
are supposed to be backwards compatible, and therefore must be short.

But within a library we can usenice long, self-explanatory names
such as `visible-whitespace-mode'.

It looks to me that all four libraries should be merged.

As for me:

1. I bound `nuke-trailing-whitespace' to a function key and use it
   frequently.  This is:

    ;; From: Christoph Conrad
    ;; <address@hidden>, 1 Apr 99
    (defun nuke-trailing-whitespace()
      "Delete all trailing Tabs and whitespaces and all blank lines before EOF.
      Trailing means at the end of a line, just before the newline."

2. Occasionally, I look for situation where there are three or more blank
   lines in a file and reduce those to two blank lines.

3. Whenever I can, I remove tabs from my files.  I dislike them.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com