Re: visible-whitespace-mode

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: visible-whitespace-mode
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:00:34 -0200

> * `blank-mode' has better documentation, but the default puts white
>   space in the blanks, which looks harsh to me.  Indeed, to read
>   the file, I had to turn blank mode off.

Well, this is the default for spaces, but you can set blank-chars variable to:

   'tabs-and-spaces     TABs and SPACEs are visualized.
   'tabs                only TABs are visualized.
   'spaces              only SPACEs are visualized.

The default is 'tabs-and-spaces, but could be changed to 'tabs.

>   `blank-mode' provides a good deal of customization; if its default
>   were nicer, and included an end-of-line marker, I would like it.

What do you suggest for default values?

blank-mode is customized by the following options:

   `blank-space-face'           Face used to visualize SPACE.

   `blank-tab-face'             Face used to visualize TAB.

   `blank-verbose'              Non-nil means generate messages.

   `blank-chars'                Specify which kind of blank is visualized.

   `blank-space-regexp'         Specify space characters regexp.

   `blank-tab-regexp'           Specify tab characters regexp.

   `blank-priority'             Specify blank overlay priority.

If "end-of-line marker" means "highlight spaces at end-of-line", set:

   (setq blank-space-regexp " +$")
   (setq blank-tab-regexp   "\t+$")

> `blank-mode.el' is a more self-explanatory file name than `visws.el'.
>
> `visible-whitespace-mode' is a more self-explanatory mode name than
> `blank-mode'.

I used blank-mode because whitespace-mode was already being used.  I think
that visws was used for the same reason.

Anyway, the name can be changed, that's not a big problem.

Vinicius