Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B -- ProD

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Problem burning to LG DVDRAM GSA-4167B -- ProDVD only does DVD-R
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 10:37:51 -0500

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 22:30 +1030, John wrote:
> Anyway I just have to say that, yes cdrecord-prodvd has recorded
> to +R media for a long time, but i agree 100% with Bryan here, the
> results from cdrecord-prodvd and pioneer drives were absolute
> RUBBISH

Jorg has even commented as such.  If the drive lets him use the same, -R
command set to record +R, then it "functionally" works.  But it doesn't
mean it records +R as it should be.

Pioneer's DVD-RW was the original and only drive Jorg supported in
CDRecord 1.x (before ProDVD), which DVDRecord is largely based on.

> It INFURIATES me, first that Pioneer, and 2nd that this Jorg guy
> can claim their hadrware/software supports +R when the results
> are such absolute crap.

Well, I wouldn't blame Jorg.  He's just supporting what "functionally"
works on various drives.  It's really the fact that DVD+RW (and +R)
don't work like -R (or -RW in record emulation) -- both drive and media.

Again, Pioneer's DVD-RW was the original and only drive Jorg supported
in CDRecord 1.x (before ProDVD), which DVDRecord is largely based on.

> If you do a verify of what has been written, like I do, you find there
> are errors on so many discs its it horrifying. And i am talking about
> doing the verify immediately after burning, so its not dust or scratches
> on the disc that has caused the verify error.

I would recommend you _avoid_ -RW and +RW for anything critical.  The
CDRecord set of programs were designed for how CD-R and DVD-R work, and
you don't want to "record" to CD-RW, DVD-RW or DVD+RW in "emulation"
mode.  DVD+R works much like that from CDRecord as well.

> So I would say, to anyone:
> 1) get an LG drive

Yes, and use the CDRecord programs with CD-R and DVD-R only.

Avoid using DVD-RW in "record" emulation mode.

I guess you _could_ use DVD-RAM in "record" emulation mode, but you
don't need to since DVD-RAM is pre-formatted and directly usable.

> 2) if u wanna use +R media, use growisofs,

Excactly!  You want to use use the kernel's block read/write access for
DVD+RW (and DVD+R), which is what the drives (and media) were designed
for.

I believe all the new interactive GUI programs now use the kernel's
block read/write access to do such anyway.  I almost always record to -R
(and rewrite to -RAM) so I'm not the expert on those programs.

> cdrecord-prodvd is ok for -R, but forget doing +R with it.
> It CAN be done, probably, like Bryan says using some -R emulation
> mode of the drive, but the results are completely unreliable, even
> with GOOD verbatim media.
> growisofs, LG, and +R -- for those who want to know the bare minimum
> required to burn DVDs hassle-free - that should do it. Or, for windows
> users... just get LG drive and u cant go wrong as long as u get good +R
> media.

Thanx for the backup.

I know I came off as a jerk, but I'm really just trying to help new
people -- this person had a LG GSA series drive.  And I really didn't
want to get back into what had already been covered before, from someone
else's experience with Pioneer -RW drives, dislike of CDRecord, etc...

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden
http://thebs413.blogspot.com