[Dvdrtools-users] Re: NEC 2500-A -- Philips/NEC firmware

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: NEC 2500-A -- Philips/NEC firmware
Date: 07 Apr 2004 06:58:49 -0400

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 22:13, Justin T Wetherell wrote:
> *I am trying to burn an image file to a DVD, this is the error I get. I
> can burn to a CD with the same device. I don't know if the dvdrecord
> recognizes it correctly. At first it told me the file was too big,
> looked like it thinks my DVD-RW is a CD-RW.*

Correct.

There are three major sets of firmware out there.
- Matsushita/Panasonic
- Pioneer
- Philips/NEC

As some of you may have guessed, these map to DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW
drives, respectfully.

>From my understanding, only Pioneer drives are supported by DVDRTools.
Same deal with the DVD patch for CDRecord 2.0 (has that changed now?).

Even if one of these drives _support_ the other formats (e.g., a Sony
DVD+RW drive supports DVD-RW/R, etc...), the underlying firmware is the
key.  If the software cannot support the firmware, it cannot burn.

The latest commercial (free for non-commercial use) CDRecord-ProDVD
should support all firmware and both DVD-R and DVD+R record formats.

I really need to update my page to reflect all this.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
address@hidden