[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A

From: Electrolife Studios
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:52:43 -0500

It seems though these days compatability is almost the same on both formats. If you look at pages like dvdrhelp.com they are reporting the following stats:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd.htm

DVD-R is compatible with about 88% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is compatible with about 69% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.

DVD+R is compatible with about 84% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is compatible with about 70% of all DVD Players and DVD-ROMs.

So if the set top players are at essentially 80% for either format and things like these hybrid drives from Sony etc coming into the market... it seems as though the line of which is the better format is getting smaller.

I've yet to enter the DVD recordable market but I am trying to do as much reasearch as possible in hopes to not end up with the betamax technology so to speak.

DVD-R looks very strong from having more drives, cheaper media, and support from people like Mac. However DVD+R has a lot going for it with support from HP/Dell/Sony etc despite having fewer 1st gen drives and much less media selection that is more expensive.

Its a real hard market to read right now. I am new to this list... just found it on google the other night during my research. Are most of you pro DVD-R or is this list mixed?

Any insight on the topic is always apprecaited.

matt