[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A -- correction and my "in-a-nutshe

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A -- correction and my "in-a-nutshell" conclusion ...
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:27:27 -0500 (EST)

Quoting "Bryan J. Smith" <address@hidden>:
>  But unlike DVD-RAM, DVD-R(G) is almost univerally donated (like O
> blood).

CORRECTION:  I meant DVD-R(A) is almost universally donated.  Actually, nothing
beats DVD-R(A) in compatibility, although DVD-R(G) is "close enough."

> I told them it reminded me 100% of their original, 3GB disc format ...
> But Sony has finally made the point moot.  I think a big reason was that
> 4x DVD-R(G) hit while Sony/Philips were still working on 4x DVD+R.  So
> Sony introduced the DRU-500A with 4x DVD-R(G) ...

In a nutshell, even if you believe DVD+RW (and its 3GB disc predecessor) were
introduced because Sony/Philips thought they could make a make a "better
standard," in each and every case, DVD+RW has _always_ been "late to the party."
 In some cases, Sony/Philips have lagged the DVD consortium by some 2+ years.

--
Bryan J. Smith  (suffix-free title for your protection)
mailto:address@hidden          http://www.thebs.org