[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Plextor PX-504A
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:17:23 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Electrolife Studios <address@hidden>:
> What do you guys think of the new Plextor PX-504A.  When you see more
> leaders like this starting to pump out +R/RW drives you know the battle
> is really heating up.
> http://www.plextor.com/english/products/504A.html

I think it's sad that vendors put profits in front of compatbility.  Especially
since Sony has "cross the picket line" to shown that it's 3G DVD+RW drives are
capable of -R/-RW.  Sony knows it is better to put the consumer first sometimes.

Understand that Sony/Philips "broke off" from the DVD Consortium in 1998 to
create their own 3GB standard.  That standard never made it out of Japan.  They
overpromised and undelivered, quite _late_ I might add, and this continued
through even 2G DVD+RW.  Quite sad since DVD-RW did made it out-the-door sooner.

At no time did the DVD Consortium withhold specifications from Sony/Philips or
otherwise "twist their arm" to go in the direction they did.  As someone said to
me in 1998 when this happened, "if Sony/Philips believes they can market away
control away from a standards body and make more money than they could by
staying within it, they will."

--
Bryan J. Smith   suffix-free title for your protection)
mailto:address@hidden          http://www.thebs.org