[Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer-DVR-105 and economic media

From: A E Lawrence
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Pioneer-DVR-105 and economic media
Date: 04 Feb 2003 20:41:26 +0000

I have had a Pioneer DVR-104 drive for some time and have successfully
used dvdrtools up to version 0.1.3 to write Bulkpaq X1 DVD-R and White
Label (http://www.whitelabel-media.com/"; "Gold Edition" DVD-RW. No
failures at all. This will not be a surprise to members of this list.

However, I was cautious about getting a Pioneer DVR-105 because of the
various reports of problems with cheaper media, especially that from
Princo. And Bulkpaq (http://www.bulkpaq.co.uk/) seems to be Princo.

I have now acquired a DVD-105 and carried out some experiments. The
drive firmware is version 1.00. I hope to report some other time with
later versions of firmware.

I used cdrtools-2.0.2 with the cdrtools-1.11a37-dvd.patch (I have an rpm
with the two integrated if anyone would like a copy). So far I have not
tried dvdrtools-0.1.3 on the DVR-105.

I can report complete success with

1) Bulkpaq X1 ;   DVD-R
2) Bulkpaq X2 ;   DVD-R   (these are on http://www.bulkpaq.co.uk/)
3) Datasafe General purpose DVD-RW  (http://www.datasafe-media.com/)

All these media are available at very reasonable prices in the uk, at
least.

I have not tried any X4 speed thus far.

I am posting this in the hope that it will be helpful to others. I was a
little uncertain about what to expect since there seem to be mixed
messages about these drives and the media.

ael