Re: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:48:48 +0200

On 13.06.2012 19:42, T.J. Crowder wrote:
> On 13 June 2012 18:23, <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 13.06.2012 19:03, T.J. Crowder wrote:be aware that duplicity works
> perfectly for smaller backup sizes, but was never developed to backup
> terrabytes, so you might stumble along the way.
>     also. it is suggested to do fulls regularly because a bitflip/error in
> one volume essentially makes the backup chain defective from that point in
> time on.
>

> Thanks, good to know. I seem to remember that issue with volumes could be
> mitigated by segmenting (partitioning) my backups, something like that...
>
> Since doing the full is a very expensive operation for me (literally), it
> sounds like maybe I should look at going another way...although what way that
> is, I'm not sure.

the current suggested workaround to the "do fulls regularly" is to simply move
incrementals (e.g. every two weeks) based on a full into a subfolder and do new
incrementals. this of course gets more expensive speaking bandwidth as the
changes compared to the full accumulate over time.

for restoring of a specific older time you will of course have to manually move
incrementals back and move the recent incrementals into another subfolder and
vice versa.

..ede/duply.net