[Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup

From: T.J. Crowder
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:03:40 +0100

Hi all,

Duplicity looks like it could well be the answer to a backup issue I'm having. Very cool indeed.

I have a lot of data (~3TB) that I want to back up to an HDD and then send off-site, keeping the backup up-to-date on a daily basis (overnight). I have a mix of small files and very large ones (virtual machine disks). There's definitely duplication, although that wouldn't be my primary interest in Duplicity.

Two questions related to this:

1. Is it possible for me to use Duplicity to do a full backup to an external, locally-connected HDD, then post that HDD to a remote site (where they've agreed to hook it up), and then have Duplicity maintain that backup vis ssh/scp?

2. If so, with the VM disk images, for (say) a 200GB disk image, how much transfer would Duplicity require (very roughly) to identify which parts of that file had changed so it could send the deltas?

Thanks in advance,

-- T.J.