Re: [Duplicity-talk] Daily Incremental Restore

From: Cornelius Keller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Daily Incremental Restore
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:43:47 +0100

2012/2/19 <address@hidden>
> I also tried to use a duplicity restore to keep my development server up to date with the data from the production system.
> Restoring the data went just fine, but when I tried to set up a cron job to keep it up to date, I noticed that I have to use the --force option, because the destination folder is of cause already prestent on disc.
> I had the impression that  duplicity with the force option is overwriting the wohle folder, instead of  syncing it.
> Is this correct?

yes

> And if so, is there a way to do just an incremental restore of what has changed?

no, that's why there is the --force option to make sure you know what you're up to.

what's the rationale against rsync instead of duplicity for this purpose?

The reason was that I did not want to run an other job on the production system if i have a backup in place to get the files.
Also it was a proof to me that the backup process worked.
Also I expected this to work, but without a detailed look into the duplicity backup process.

What is the diffrence between restoring the state from yesterday on the source system and syncing the current state of today into a secondary system?

..ede/duply.net