Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:13:34 -0400

On 8/30/2011 8:49 AM, Chris Poole wrote:
I'd agree with the above, and suggest that you backup to a local drive first,
and then use rsync or whatever tool you want to send those files to your remote
backup destination.

I do this and find that I can max my upload bandwidth by doing the following:

     cd local_backup_dir
     find . -name '*.gpg' -print0 | xargs -0I{} -n1 -P8 rsync {}
remote_backup_dir

(basically you just do several uploads at once).

Thank you, Chris -- that's a reasonable idea if I end up having enough
space. I may not, given I am doing a full backup of a lot of the stuff
on my laptop -- it may not have the space.  (If I am willing to attach
a separate disk to hold the .gpg files while I am doing this, I might
be able to do it.)

What some respondents are not realizing (because I probably did not
make it clear), I am not necessarily talking about the case where
duplicity is run a second (or third, or whatever) time, but when the
rsync backend has a network problem and tries to send the *same*
volume file again.  --partial would be very reasonable in such a case.

Best -- Eliot