[Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:18:45 -0400

Dear fellow users / maintainers:

I am just getting started with duplicity and appreciate its
ability to keep going int he face of network outages, and
such -- I am trying to back up 70 Gb from a laptop, and
obviously the first full backup takes a while!

There is one thing I noticed that can perhaps be improved,
though. If there is an interruption, then the interrupted
volume transfer starts over from the beginning -- it does
not use rsync's --partial / --partial-dir capability to
use whatever was successfully transferred before the
failure.  At least I am seeing such full retransmissions
(but only of the incomplete volume).

Note that, given the size of the source I am backing up,
I have set volsize to 1Gb so as not to have an really
large collection of files. (Is this unwise?) So it is
painful to start a volume over when 800Mb has been uploaded.

I could not find a way to adjust the rsync flags used
(perhaps good, since people might hang themselves easily
that way), but wonder if --partial-dir would be a good
enhancement, and fairly easy to add?

Best wishes -- Eliot Moss