Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can backup but unable to verify due to GPG error

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can backup but unable to verify due to GPG error
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:20:32 +0200

On 28.08.2011 18:00, Laurynas Biveinis wrote:
>> I still expect the problem to be the password reach duplicity. Please try
>> manually running, as test case with a small folder
>>
>> PASSPHRASE="yourpass" duplicity ...
>> PASSPHRASE="yourpass" duplicity verify ...
>

> export PASSPHRASE=`cat $HOME/.duplicity-passphrase` # Same passphrase
> setup as with the main script
> duplicity $HOME/org file://$HOME/tmp  # Backup target tmp dir
> duplicity verify file://$HOME/tmp $HOME/org
>
> works OK.

which proofs that duplicity is working fine in general

> duplicity $HOME/org file://$HOME/backup-path # "real" backup target
>
> works OK too and then

what do you mean by real here?

> duplicity file://$HOME/backup-patch $HOME/org
>
> fails with the same GPG key error.

seems like your system seems to forget or modify the passphrase inbetween. try
to printout the passphrase before running the command and observe if it is
still valid. do this with a test passphrase and a test backup for a while and
see what happens.

> I am leaning towards deleting the backups and any dot files related to
> duplicity from $HOME and retrying full backup.

definitely, but also you might want to consider to deliver your passphrase
directly to the duplicity process by definition in front of the call

PASSPHRASE='pass' duplicity ...

this way it can't be modified by any other process.

if you find the cause please tell us.. ede/duply.net