Re: [Duplicity-talk] Manifest stores SHA1 hash of files, checked before

From: Chris Poole
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Manifest stores SHA1 hash of files, checked before restore?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:19:48 +0100

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 13.07.2011 17:53, Chris Poole wrote:
>> (Thus, it's very important to sign
>> backups being stored in untrusted locations.)
>
> It is provided the public key used is published somewhere or in other ways
> available to a possible attacker. If you create a keypair just for your
> backup and keep it on the backup machine and in your secure storage (for
> restoring) you don't necessarily need it.
>
> On the other hand. Currently duplicity needs a private key to work reliably,
> so signing to it does no harm and can be seen as an extra lock for an
> intruder to pick. see http://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/687295

Thanks. I'm going to get used to signing my backups. I don't use cron
to do them for me anyway.

What I find annoying is that Duplicity asks me for my passphrase (when
doing an incremental backup) 3 times. Surely once is enough, to
decrypt my private key? (Using the same Key ID to encrypt and sign my
backup.)