Re: [Duplicity-talk] wrong passphrase with archive-dir?

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] wrong passphrase with archive-dir?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:16:50 -0000 (UTC)

Hiya,

I've not had that happen so far, but then again I use the PASSPHRASE
environment variable to set
my password as I normally backup from a script. I do however use the
--archive-dir option each and
every time I backup or restore something.

Perhaps duplicity could encrypt something that is kept locally in the
archive-dir and test-decrypt
it before an incremental is started? If the test data is decrypted ok then the
password is fine,
otherwise prompt again for a password?

Obviously this test wouldn't be required for a full backup as you would be
setting the password
for that chain at this time. Also, if your backing up via a script and the
PASSPHRASE variable is
set then there would be no need to test if the password is ok or to prompt for
a password as
nobody would see the prompt?

Does anybody have any other ideas on this?

Rich.