Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Errno 24] Too many open files

From: Robin Smidsrød
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Errno 24] Too many open files
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:06:37 +0100

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Robin Smidsrød wrote:

$ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
126923

This is the system-wide limit on open files (seems a bit low for a
server).
It's a home server which is mainly being used for pictures and music. I thought 126k was abundantly enough for a server with this function. At normal usage lsof shows about 2100 entries.

  The user limit can be seen with a 'ulimit -n' and can be set
higher with a 'ulimit -n 4096' style command, as root, to work around
this problem. I would suggest a doubling of the current ulimit.
# ulimit -n
1024

I guess this is probably the "fault", if you could call it that. The big question is, shouldn't 1024 file descriptors be enough to run a successfull backup?

My next question is more a matter of how I can set the ulimit so that it influences cron. As I mentioned earlier, I'm running Ubuntu 8.10.
 If the
system limit is being reached somehow, then look here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/64716-where-chnage-file-max-permanently.html
or if that wraps:
http://tinyurl.com/5caer7

I'm going to need to chase this one some more it looks like.  I thought
it was fixed.
I'm going to assume that this means that you consider it a bug. I'll wait for the response once you've had time to look into it more thoroughly.

-- Robin