Re: [Duplicity-talk] SVN Backup?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] SVN Backup?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:10:45 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
> I need to backup an svn repository.  The correct way, apparently, is to
> use 'svnadmin hotcopy' to create a copy of the repository so that the
> backup is clean (e.g. nobody made changes to the repository while the
> copy was happening).
>
> However, each night when it creates a copy of the repository, it now has
> new time stamps on the files.  Chances are that very little changed.
>
> In testing it, it appears that duplicity ignores the file date
> differences.  Generally, what rules does duplicity (librsync?) use for
> knowing when a file is different?

Duplicity uses librsync to store only delta's of the files that have
changed.  In your case, all files have changed some, at least the time
and date.  All that would be stored is the new time and date plus any
modifications that have been made.  It would be a very minimal set of
data, but could be reduced even more if the time and date were not
changed during every backup.

...Ken